Re: Re: Miraphone E-flat?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on May 19, 2003 at 23:33:38:

In Reply to: Re: Miraphone E-flat? posted by more specifically... on May 19, 2003 at 23:11:16:

I can speak to this.

Joe Murphy (Nashville area tuba player / fine jazz musician / teaches at Cumberland University / studied with Joe Sellmansberger when he was in high school [hee-hee]) bought one because he really thought it would make a great jazz tuba. He played in the Titan Hot Seven Jazz Band and also in that recently recorded MJT tuba-jazz thing.

He had one complaint about the tuba, once he had owned it for awhile. To him, the sound was too "spread". He ordered a Miraphone F tuba bell (with a bottom end dimension to fit the Miraphone comp. EEb tuba bottom bow) and had me put this special bell on his EEb Miraphone tuba. He was extremely happy with the instrument after that.

Of course, all that was effected by the replacement bell was "tone quality". Joe's taste and yours wouldn't necessarily be the same. He thought the instrument played extremely well so he bought it - brand new - EVEN THOUGH he thought he would probably have to find a different bell for it.

With the original 19" bell, (to me) this instrument sounded like the very best of the Boosey & Hawkes EEb instruments with similar diameter bells and similar set-ups.

Follow Ups: