Re: Re: Texas RTEC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on May 19, 2003 at 20:37:03:

In Reply to: Re: Texas RTEC posted by Brian Frederiksen on May 19, 2003 at 14:29:58:

I tend to think that the scheduling is probably the biggest issue. If I remember correctly, we had a turnout of just over 100 when we hosted a regional conference here in South Florida in 1989. Certainly our area isn't nearly as populous as the area where the TCU conference occurred. I am extremely surprised to hear that less than 75 attended. When I looked at the event schedule, and the time and geographical location, I figured this would be the best attended regional conference of them all.

Speaking to my own reasons for not attending, I simply was otherwise engaged. That's why I don't generally attend conferences. I was gratified to be invited to do a presentation at the Southeast Regional Conference held in Alabama this last February. I couldn't attend that conference either because I was working that weekend. No matter what time of year you hold it, I would think the vast majority of professional players are going to be otherwise engaged with work. It seems to me that mostly, the only pros you'll get going to these events are the ones invited to participate in some official capacity. That makes it a lot easier to go to your boss and ask for time off. Many orchestral contracts offer very minimal personal leave. When taken for something other than serious family obligations (funeral, wedding, etc.), there is usually an attached proviso along the lines of "major recital performance or audition" when addressing what types of musical activities are acceptable for the granting of leave. To just attend the conference, without being officially involved, some managers won't grant the time off.

I don't agree that the amateurs are getting the short end of the stick at these events. It seems to me that there are just as many, if not more, quality events that are available to this segment of the community. The fact that there were so few amateurs in attendance tells me that the scheduling was somehow unworkable for the vast majority of them. That's just a guess on my part but it is supported by reality. How you solve that issue is beyond my current comprehension.

Seeing how a great conference (at least it looked that way to me on paper) like this didn't draw the participant numbers the organizers were expecting makes me wonder at events like the recent 2002 ITEC. It looks more and more to me that such confluences of players and quality events is seemingly, at least partially, controlled by the stars.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: