Re: Re: Re: Re: Texas RTEC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard Murrow on May 19, 2003 at 17:59:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Texas RTEC posted by TubaRay on May 19, 2003 at 16:04:41:

I think Carole N. makes the best point with regard to the regional conferences. I expected the Texas conference to bring in 3-4 hundred participants. This was a conservative estimate that was discussed by our planning committee. Carole's feeling was certainly echoed numerous times to and by me in conversations with concerned artists during the conference. I can assure everyone that the amateur player was a major concern in our plans and it was the job of one of our coordinators to contact the MANY community bands in this region. This I am sure he did, however you can never be certain that that information was given to the players. As for a website, our web address was posted numerous times on tubenet during the past 5-6 weeks prior to the conference and Alex Cauthen did a fabulous job as webmaster, everyone who regularly checks this board should have seen those posts and our website. Also, ITEA had our site linked to their homwpage. There were some 2800 flyers distributed in the region to Tx, La, Mi, Ark, OK, and NM. and another 1500 e-mails to schools. As for the time, timing may be everything for one individual, but it certainly can't be right for everyone. Host school schedules, outside university schedules, public school schedules, individual work schedules are certainly all factors, but nothing that anyone can control. I do know that I and all of the wonderful artists who contributed to the success of the Texas Regional did the very best they could and tried to take into account all of the factors that have been mentioned. Much thought and discussion were given before any plans were finalized.

I will once again say, after having lived with the TX Conference for an entire year that I think Carole has hit the nail on the head. There are so many opportunities now that these things are not as special as they once were. I know that many people had valid conflicts, however I would also bet that there are those out there that just didn't want to make the financial sacrifice or time commitment to get away for for acouple of days.

This I do know, ALL of the clinics at the TX Regional were absolutely first rate. I would like to thank all of the great artists who gave so much to the success of our conference. The recitals, clinics, evening concerts were marvelous. Additionally, there were five world premiers during the conference. To those who were able to be here I am certain that no one left without having a better understanding of our great instruments.

Follow Ups: