Re: Re: Re: equipment geeks solicited...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on May 19, 2003 at 09:29:37:

In Reply to: Re: Re: equipment geeks solicited... posted by js on May 18, 2003 at 22:39:20:

I'm wondering about throat/bore size. I know that supposedly it takes more air when the throat size is larger, but: (I'm going to rhapsodize theoretically here, not report on actual experience) it would seem that the least restrictive "throat size" would be for free buzzing. Except that when free buzzing you don't have to make an instrument respond, that is, less "force" is necessary to flap your lips, because there is no resistance when you free buzz. So it seems that if someone could learn a very efficient buzz free-buzzing, that throat size would not have as much effect on the required air supply.
I was recently told by a 7-liter teacher that my 1.5 liters are very efficient; usually, on tuba, I find myself breathing at the same time as the several-times-larger player next to me. I was breathing at the same rate as the 7 liter guy, too. What is interesting is that on horn my lack of lung capacity is very obvious; the horn players on either side of me in the orchestra, can sustain a tone much, much longer than I can. I wonder why it tends to even up with tuba? It doesn't make sense to me. Maybe at FFF it would become painfully obvious. Maybe tuba players are just accustomed to breathing often.
MA

Follow Ups: