Re: Re: Re: Re: From Today's NYTimes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AW on May 14, 2003 at 20:02:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: From Today's NYTimes posted by Rick Denney on May 14, 2003 at 17:50:35:

I think that the notion of having an endowment for a cultural institution, at least in the Boston area comes from trying to create something permanent. I see it as the equivalent of monumental buildings, such as the older museums and concert halls, as well as universities.

The BSO was founded in 1881 by the Boston financier Henry Lee Higginson and some other like-minded people, who understood that capital was required, both for physical property and for an endowment. Basically, the institution's upkeep and operating deficit should be covered, on the average, by income from the endowment, not the principal. [The founders were educated as well as rich. Since most of the early players were German, when Higginson addressed the orchestra, he would do so in German. I wonder how many of today's rich financiers would be able to do that?]

The old nineteenth century monied class certainly did dreadful things, as amply described by Dickens and Marx. However their notion of building permanent institutions (other than physical buildings) is something we seem to be losing. It makes me feel great to be in a city with wonderful public buildings, boulevards, fountains, parks, museums and halls. It also is wonderful to have these physical places populated by organizations that contribute to public enlightenment, joy and pride. It is true that Sinclair Lewis' character Babbit would not get anything from these. However, I hope that there are enough citizens who can see the fulfillment they get from public arts and permanent instutions that preserve, nurture and develop the arts.

That's enough on the soapbox. I'm getting down now.

Allen Walker
pipes2000ATtheatreorgans.com

Follow Ups: