Re: Gronitz PE 55 4/4 E-flat tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by bilmac on May 14, 2003 at 08:26:19:

In Reply to: Gronitz PE 55 4/4 E-flat tuba posted by Sam Henson on May 12, 2003 at 11:19:48:

I've had one for about 2 1/2 years now. The're really good with a sweet top range and a strong middle and bottom range .You've got to buy into the type of sound it makes--very focused and tight and also get used to the odd fingerings at the bottom.Top E is a tricky note so you need to be careful.It's not as smooth as a Besson but with that tried and tested compensation system, I doubt anything is.
You get used to the bell position. It's a good solo instrument but it really scores when you put it in a combination of instruments. I use it in a ten piece, particularly when I want to make a big fat weighty German sound. The Richard Strauss fanfares suit it perfectly but if I have to dart about on the tuba I reach for a compensator where lots of the work is done for you when it comes to tuning and flexibility.

My playing colleagues like to see it come out of the case , they like the sound in the combination of the ten piece It's maybe a little like the Alexander instruments where they really come into their own when played in a section with trombones etc.It sounds great in an orchestra as long you are not doing Shostakovich or Prokoviev all night when you do need something a bit bigger.Although it's an EE Flat I think it blows towards the CC side if things rather than towards the F side.

It's an instrument I would recommend you look at very seriously but you might want to have another one as a back up,depending on what and with whom you are playing.When I bought one the £ sterling sat well against the D'mark so it was a bargain especially when you looked at what you paid for a Besson with their terrible build quality. The Gronitz build quality is top dollar and even the case is a thing of beauty.

Follow Ups: