Re: Re: Re: Re: another college instructor back-stabbed

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Graham Smith on May 13, 2003 at 08:54:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: another college instructor back-stabbed posted by Rick Denney on May 12, 2003 at 19:36:01:

"Right on," as we used to say long ago, Rick.

There's been a curious transformation of university campuses over the past coupleof decades. Interesting that many of them now have "speech codes" which bar speech that might offend others. Generally, they seem more aimed at restricting conservative speech than liberal, but the curious thing is that they exist at all in those places, which were once bastions of free speech and intellectual inquiry.

I am probably just a product of the sixties, but as a former journalist who presently supports his family (and his tuba playing) by practicing law, I am firmly convinced that freedom of religion and freedom of speech lie at the very heart of our existence as a "free" country. Impair either of those and we're in trouble.

We're in trouble.

As for the hapless instructor, I agree completely. If she doesn't fight this vigorously and hold these administrators accountable, this will haunt the rest of her working life.

Follow Ups: