Re: Gronitz PE 55 4/4 E-flat tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by B.G. on May 12, 2003 at 22:57:55:

In Reply to: Gronitz PE 55 4/4 E-flat tuba posted by Sam Henson on May 12, 2003 at 11:19:48:

I played this horn at Lowbrasswerks. It blows well, and has a strong low register. One of the nice things is that the 5th valve is tuned to the low tritone A-natural. That makes the low end fingerings much easier, and those notes can be tuned with easy access to its 2nd valve slide. What I don't care for is the the rather low, squat, pancake bell. For me, the horn comes off just a tad "shouty" in character. Then again, I have sort of a naturally bright sound anyway (and need to compensate). I've been told that the horn had been designed for Swedish military bands - parades , horses, and such. Also, maybe because the bell has a big flange (rather big leadpipe too), but the 4th space G-natural was a bit flat. Using a true Eb/F mouthpiece would probably help that, along with using alternate fingerings. I personally think that the Besson 983 is more smooth and even from top to bottom, with a somewhat sweeter sound. However, the low notes are probably a tad fatter on the Gronitz. The ergonomics of the Gronitz fit me much better than those of the Willson Eb, but that's just me. The 983 fits me better yet, where the bell is positioned neither too high (Willson) or too low (Gronitz). I've never played the M-W Eb or the PT Cruiser Eb.

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: