Re: Re: Re: Re: yamaha euphs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CDB on May 12, 2003 at 13:45:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: yamaha euphs posted by Curious CDB? on May 11, 2003 at 19:17:12:

Well, the main problem I've had is little mechanical things here and there. Nothing really major, but bad enough where I had to be off the horn long enough to take it to someone to get fixed. For example, right now, my first and second valve guides are worn to almost nothing. I had to have my horn working for a recording project we were doing, but it was going to take awhile for the parts to come in since Willson 2900 valve guides aren't the most popular item on the shelf. Anyway, he got it working enough for me to use, but the valves are ultra hard to push down now, and all the technical passages I had were almost impossible. I know that all horns break down over time, but this is the second or third time I've had to replace these things in about four years. Is this normal, cause nothing else is breaking down so fast? Also, there are some things that I just don't do as well on my Willson as I do on other horns. I get a pretty good sound I guess, but it's really hard to project compared to other horns I play. My range goes up at least a third on other horns I've played, reguardless of mouthpiece. Lip slurs are three times as easy on other horns. Maybe I just got a bad horn, but I have to think that I can do better. And as far as intonation goes, the only notes I have a lot of trouble with are the F's, and the high A and Ab. Again, every horn has bad notes, but I would like the notes to be able to be adjusted with say a first valve slide, instead of the main tuning slide. I have never played a F in the staff in tune. I consistantly get within 10 cents, but to lip it in tune requires me to really contort my face.

Anyway, those are MY problems. And these are MY opinions. I'm sure there are some things I've left out, but I'm sorta in a blur right now. Does anyone else have an opinion on the subject?

CDB

Follow Ups: