Re: 3 valve vs. 4 valve for beginner?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on May 12, 2003 at 12:34:31:

In Reply to: 3 valve vs. 4 valve for beginner? posted by Steven on May 11, 2003 at 19:36:12:

I felt the same way you do....wanted to start out cheap in case it turned out that it wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be. So I paid out $400 for a 3 valve Eb; it was ok for what I spent, and I found out in short order that yes, it was fun....and a few months later bought a 5-valve F, for quite a bit more money. Then some months after that there followed a 5 valve CC....and I am an addict!

If you're looking to play oom-pah stuff mostly, I think you'd be really happy with either a 3 valve BBb, or a 4 valve Eb. The first would be a lot less expensive, and if your interest doesn't go beyond oom-pah playing, it could be the only tuba you ever buy. There are guys all over the place playing 3 valve BBbs and loving it. The tuba can do more than oom-pah, I'm not saying it can't; it actually has quite a range because of being a BBb. But if you want to do oom-pah, the 3 valve BBb is the one most suited for that. The Eb will go down there, and it has an easier high range, but the fingerings will be more complicated, and the low range will take more work to get the same punch.

MA

Follow Ups: