Re: Re: Re: Mid-Michigan playing opportunities

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael Grant on May 11, 2003 at 20:20:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Mid-Michigan playing opportunities posted by Doug Whitten on May 09, 2003 at 16:46:28:

Ditto on that one Daryl. For the most part, all of my playing opportunities came because I took the initiative to create them. From that, I started getting calls here and there to sub with other groups. However, those are still far and few. There are no shortage of tuba players in this area (Lansing, Ann Arbor, Detroit) and many of them are very, very good. In other words, don't expect any calls because those players are out there getting there name (and playing) known. Start a brass quintet and get some gigs. Perhaps you could prepare a recital and have the quintet perform one of the major quintet works. A good opportunity to get you and the quintet heard as well as keeping your chops up.

Other thoughts: Isn't there a Capital City Brass Band? Have you checked them out? There is also the Motor City Brass Band based in Southfield. They have developed a good name in the brass band world. The director's name is Craig Strain. I don't have a number for him.

I also have a MM in music and play a Willson E-flat. Love the horn. I have had problems with my valves sticking but that is working itself out. How do you like yours?

Good luck!

Michael "making a living selling shoes with a manager that also plays a Willson E-flat"
Grant

Follow Ups: