B.A.T. Supréme

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by wheeler-dealer on May 11, 2003 at 19:30:52:

I just purchased this B.A.T.

It features a short mouthpipe (' same length as found on "York" models), a large .734" bore, and a tremendous 26" detachable 'hand hammered' bell. Further, the "privileged tones" on this instrument function so well that there is absolutely no need for a 4th nor a 5th valve, so low range technical passages can be played with much better facility than on those "gadgety" tubas (7-valve King-Gronitz BBb/EEE doubles, etc.)! Needless to say, I would never consider one of those passé rotary valve tubas, so this up-to-date piston model was the only type of tuba I was considering for purchase.

I managed to secure this instrument for under $8000, and might consider reselling it in the same price range. I just thought you B.A.T. shoppers might be interested in such an instrument. More likely, I would consider selling this one once the NYP auditions are concluded.

For those of you doing the Berlin audition, most of your B.A.T.'s are disqualified due to the inadequate length of their construction. I'll considering renting this one for the BPO auditions but again, I'll need it back for the NYP finals.

Follow Ups: