Re: Re: Weird looks on tuba playeres

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim on May 11, 2003 at 10:14:17:

In Reply to: Re: Weird looks on tuba playeres posted by Chuck(G) on May 11, 2003 at 09:48:09:

Along those same lines; I once was asked to do the children's sermon at my church. Since I had two vastly different horns (Miraphone 186 and Yamaha YBB 201), my subject was 'differences'. Playing the same passage on both horns, I then spoke of the fact that while the horns looked quite different, the notes and music were the same (to little ones' ears). This was then compared to my opinion that all humans are the same; we may look different on the outside, but are the same, inside. The children were in rapt attention and from that day forward, when I brought out my horn(s) to play in the service, the kids (and several adults) would move closer to hear the music (especially the postludes). Two of the kids are now in junior high and playing baritone and tuba (2 each).

It was tremendously satisfying. Our horn (referring to all of you and myself) can and does not only get 'weird' looks and some comments, but can also enthrall our critics and maybe even, win a few converts.

Follow Ups: