Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Orchestra Salaries

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CM on May 09, 2003 at 18:40:41:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Orchestra Salaries posted by Rick Denney on May 09, 2003 at 15:58:05:

Rick, when you state things as facts that are just opinions, then you should expect to be called on it once in a while. This BBS is often about speculation...recent topics include the Boston Symphony and Warren Deck. I recall (but don't have the posts in front of me right now) that you occasionally speak out strongly against speculation. However, in the "thief" thread, you engaged in raw speculation of the worst sort, in the vein that someone is guilty until proven innocent. Your first post was at 12:31pm, and your retraction was at 1:51pm. It just seems to me that rather than visibly and aggressively (AND speculatively) drape something in extreme skepticism, you could make the phone call first. I think it damages YOUR credibility to do otherwise. I don't think Anthony Labelle's reputation (good or bad) would have suffered measurably in that hour and a half. So, in parrying the thrust, you shoot first and ask questions later? As far as your assumptions that the ICSOM wage information I posted was under copyright, once again, it was an unfounded assumption. I just ask that as arguably the most prolific poster on this bbs, you check facts before stating them as such, especially where the law is concerned.

As far as the number of services discussion goes, yes, we were talking about ICSOM orchestras...full-time professional orchestras that perform 100 times a year or more, not part-time orchestras that perform 10, 16, or 24 times a year. So, we don't need to square my statements of service numbers against your own observations. Those observations have nothing to do with a discussion of ICSOM orchestras.

As far as I know, doctors and lawyers don't negotiate under collective bargaining agreements (maybe doctors that work for a hospital do? ), but once again, because you seem to keep missing this point...we are not talking about individual salaries. We are talking about minimum starting points. In my opinion, and that of others who have said so here, there's nothing unprofessional in discussing that.

Even though I don't agree with your last statement, I found it much easier to read because I knew it was just your opinion, and not your uninformed statement of fact.

Concerned "lucre...good word, Wade!" Musician

Follow Ups: