Re: Re: Re: Orchestra Salaries

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 09, 2003 at 13:46:18:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Orchestra Salaries posted by Acually... on May 09, 2003 at 11:39:58:

Wade, I come from the secretive school. If there is ever an issue that will consume energy within an organization sufficiently to grind it to a halt, it is employees comparing their salaries against their fellow employees and their colleagues in other companies. In my opinion, it is destructive. If I think my salary isn't good enough (this has been rare, actually), I start talking to other employers and get a few offers. If they are much better, then I know my salary is too low, and I either switch jobs or I negotiate my salary upwards. Having this discussion with my fellow employees would offend those who make less and irritate those who make more.

Your points about all the other features of the compensation package are good. They are all different, and they are tailored to what is relevant in each city. Money is only one part of a compensation package. In fact, in most companies, the benefits (the compensation that costs a company money but that doesn't get paid to the employee in cash) is around 50% of the salary. And even those benefits don't include many of the items you mentioned.

Rick "who doesn't like public disclosure of salaries" Denney

Follow Ups: