Re: Re: Re: Recording Bell tuba opinions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Andrada on May 08, 2003 at 16:06:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Recording Bell tuba opinions posted by It Works, Jim !! on May 08, 2003 at 14:52:50:

I was expecting the Martin to be somewhat uncomfortable to hold because of the balance issue you mention, but it really does seem to me to balance a lot better than the Conn.

The wrap is quite different - I think the Martin is wider and the Conn taller, so the center of gravity of the Martin might be lower. Also it seems lighter in general. And the bottom bow reinforcement/protector strip is a lot wider - doesn't cut into my legs as badly.

Mouthpiece position is also different - the Martin seems have the bell stack closer to my face in the playing position, so it is tipped back a bit more than the Conn and this also helps with the fore and aft balance problem. It doesn't totally eliminate it, but it does reduce it.

By the way the Martin tuning bits are quite different in shape than the Conn's - they have a much more acute (sharper) angle between the two legs which allows a lot of flexibility in positioning the mouthpiece properly - this might also relate to the balance issue.

The downside is that the head of one of the screws that clamps the bell in place is about 3/4 inch from my right eye! Of course, in my case my right eye is pretty near useless so I keep it closed a lot and the screw head doesn't bother me.

Follow Ups: