Re: Re: Recording Bell tuba opinions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Graham Smith on May 08, 2003 at 12:22:24:

In Reply to: Re: Recording Bell tuba opinions posted by Jim Andrada on May 08, 2003 at 04:56:47:

I can recall only one experience indoors when a recording bell would have been useful for me, and that was playing a 25J in a brass quintet recital in a really "live" church. On the tape playback, everyone else was blasting off the marble walls but I could hardly be heard. Where I was located for this performance, I was essentially blowing straight up into a much lower ceiling which had a sprayed-on texture that was somewhat sound deadening, and there wasn't much opportunity for my sound to reflect outward. The other folks were in the same place, but they projected out into the open.

A recording bell, just that once, would have made a wonderful difference.

So, I guess if I had a 25J now and did recital work, I'd be thinking about having a recording bell, too, for those locations where the accoustics really remand that the tuba project with everyone else.

Most of the time, fortunately, I had experiences like the "great tuba shaped noises falling from the ceiling" that you describe.

Follow Ups: