Re: Re: Re: Saving Orchestras

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on May 06, 2003 at 10:24:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Saving Orchestras posted by js on May 06, 2003 at 07:50:21:

I can understand the band directors' perpective, here. However, the band director's world is completely overcrowded with things to do. During a symphony's prime time of concerts, he/she can be totally overwhelmed with the BASIC demands of the job. Speaking from my own experience, I would very much like to have season tickets and attend every concert. This would not likely occur. On those occasions where I don't already have a conflict(translation: football,etc.), I am often so totally worn out that I have trouble keeping myself awake during a performance.

As far as students being selected to the local youth symphony, I would absolutely encourage them to participate. It will help develop them as musicians. There is yet one more HOWEVER. It can be quite difficult to keep the band going due to a myriad of conflicts. Sometimes that youth orchestra is yet one more student missing one more rehearsal or performance. The path is littered with difficulties. This might account for some band directors opposing kids doing other things. Personally, I think they should be encouraged to do so.

I know this doesn't totally explain this, however I am now out of time.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters

Follow Ups: