Re: Re: Re: too many ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on May 05, 2003 at 21:00:45:

In Reply to: Re: Re: too many ? posted by Kenneth Sloan on May 05, 2003 at 11:09:41:

Everything you said makes sense, and in past posts of yours I knew that you were referring to research without stating it. You finally stated it. Good.

Yep, that's also part of the head-scratchin' that I do when I think about all of the teaching-studio "Professors" and "Assistant Professors" some of whom, unlike Mr. Zerkel, are not particularly on the "bleeding edge" of performance and (having read some D.M.A. theses about "tuba stuff" online and in libraries) often don't seem to be very strong "researchers" either.

Again, isn't the adjunct (or occasionally full-time) "instructor" (perhaps one whose place and function in the structure of the university could be accepted and respected, rather than looked down upon) a more appropriate hire most of the time - and once accepted as a different category, would it seem reasonable to offer those who are "full-time" a "tenure track" as well?

I suspect very strongly (??) that Mr. Zerkel would accept such a title, as long as comfortable wages and job security were attached to it.

' excellent post!

Joe "who doesn't see very many folks approach the 'bleeding edge' of much of anything, these days" S.

Follow Ups: