Re: Re: Re: Re: Our business

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Taxes for the Arts on May 05, 2003 at 19:57:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Our business posted by Rick Denney on May 05, 2003 at 17:46:25:

Points well taken.
I do see what riles a fellow like you up. However, what can frustrate someone like myself is the misconseption that some musicians might have of so called "captains of industry", due to the corporate support (most likely tax deductable) afforded to the selected arts, including photography, music, sculpture, theatre, etc.

I fail to understand the immunity offered here for those business leaders, justified simply on their corporate support for the arts.

Politically motivated or not, these business leaders should be held accountable for amoral conduct and unfair treatment of employees. One does not need to look far to see the abuse and misconduct of these corporate pirates wearing Brooks Bros. suits (ENRON, WorldCom, etc). Pirates or Captains, I guess once again, it's all about perception.
I wonder how many ENRON, WorldCom, Tyco, Adelphia, and Imclone "corporate captains" were donor lists for "the Arts."

"NEW YORK -- Samuel Waksal, the ImClone Systems founder at the center of an insider-trading scandal, has agreed to an $800,000 fine and a LIFETIME BAN on leading a public company. (March 11, 2003)"

I also have trouble seeing the political motivation of that news release.

One thing that is crystal clear, they (corporate captains) most likely are not extraterrestrial, but what form of life are they?

You make the call.

Follow Ups: