Re: Our business

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sam Henson on May 05, 2003 at 15:32:32:

In Reply to: Our business posted by Needs to be said on May 05, 2003 at 14:27:15:

If I have misinterpreted your post, I apologize, but it appears to me as though your motivation is a lack of funding/salary for the professional musician. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but welcome to the real world. Unfortunately for you, your orchestra, your bank account, and helping you achieve the American dream are not on mine or likely anyone else's priority list.

"Lawyers and Athletes had their turn. Its time that we get to enjoy the finer things in life."?? If you’re a musician for the money, you made a poor choice, and its not going to get any better. Everyone in this country would probably like more money, but reality dictates otherwise.

Your remarks elicit one response.....GET IN LINE. First and foremost, there are other people working who have MORE important jobs than playing an instrument for a living. They are not able to “enjoy the finer things in life” and hardly make it financially from month to month, so why should your story be any different? Have you met a public school teacher lately? How about a soldier who puts his life on the line each and every day to fight for your ability to complain, or police and firemen?

I agree with you in that support of musical institutions is dwindling. I do not agree that there is a lack of respect though. Your measurement of support is based on financial need. Well the reality is that if people do not have money for their own lives, they are going to share it with you. Maybe these major orchestras could take a clue from poorly funded high schools in which the members work their butts off to raise money to support their goals instead of wondering when someone is going to give a handout. Do musical institutions in the US have difficulty surviving, probably, but so does everyone right now. I’m sorry, but with unemployment in this nation at close to 9%, and the current economy on the downturn, the last thing on my mind is the plight professional tubists who cannot afford to purchase a sports car or a Yorkbrunner for that matter.

These orchestras and individuals should stop blaming everyone else, and begin to manage their own finances better and need to realize that everyone else is enduring the same difficulties you are. If you don’t feel that your chosen profession is going to be able to support your lifestyle, then go elsewhere. I myself would have loved to done many other things that what I currently do, but unfortunately dreams don’t always pay the bills.

Also why not sign your name if you are so passionate about this cause?

Follow Ups: