Re: New Music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alexandra on May 04, 2003 at 17:31:00:

In Reply to: New Music posted by In search on May 04, 2003 at 16:42:18:

Etude-wise, you might want to try Wes Jacobs' Low Etudes or Walter Sear's etude book, both available at www.rkingmusic.com. The Max Schlossberg and Walter Smith trumpet etude books are great for flexibility, and I think they might be published for trombone if you don't want to transpose.

Having recently completed my first year of college, I noticed that the following solos are commonly performed for studio classes and competitions:

Serenade no. 12 and Parable no. 12, Vincent Persichetti
Trimumph of the Demon Gods, John Stevens (I think)
Salve Venere, Salve Marte, John Stevens (hard as hell but worth a try if you have an F tuba)
Sonatina for Tuba or Trombone, Halsey Stevens (rhythmically crazy and lots of big leaps, but enjoyable enough that I played it for my freshman jury)
Suites for Solo Cello, J.S. Bach (these are awesome for working on flexibility, quick breathing, and musicality)

And there are always standard pieces that are more advanced (John Williams concerto, Three Furies) and standards closer to your level that you might not have learned yet (Hindemith Sonata, Vaughan Williams Concerto, Gregson Concerto). While playing original tuba literature is fun, you could check to see if any of your favorite solo works for other instruments have been published for tuba, or just do the transposing on your own (Bach Flute Partita in A, anyone?). If you've got another tubist around, you could check out Ludecki's Eight Bagatelles. And in the new euphonium Arban's book, there are a lot of new etudes and duets to read through.

Follow Ups: