Re: custom C tuba.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve C on May 04, 2003 at 11:02:06:

In Reply to: custom C tuba. posted by yamahaha on May 03, 2003 at 20:48:03:

I think the Yamaha, YCB-822 (assuming this is what you mean) is a great horn.
There are quite a few people who complain about its 'genaric' or 'blan' sound. I've never had this problem, but I also have a fairly clear idea of the sound I want. I have found that, whenever that idea changes, the horn responds to it. So I am lead to believe that some people just put in a 'generic' sound, and may not have had time to learn the horn. For others, it may simply be the wrong horn.

As far as physical size; as memory recalls, Its Somewhat bigger than a Conn 5xJ, the MW2145, and I think a fraction smaller than a MW2155; Its been a while sence I've set all these side-by-side, and could be mistaking, and will probably be correceted if I am ;). Many say its on the break of a 4/4 and 5/4 size. It was big enough that I didn't feel to comfortable with it in quintets, but that doesn't mean it won't work either.

To top it of, I find it an easy horn to jump around on, with an upper end as good as its low end. Like all horns, there are some intonation issues, but find those couple notes and you're good to go.

Steve C

Follow Ups: