Re: R&S Helleberg copies/Conn 56J

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on June 01, 2002 at 09:54:37:

In Reply to: R&S Helleberg copies/Conn 56J posted by Todd Morgan on May 31, 2002 at 23:15:50:

Hey, Todd.

If you like the stock Conn Helleburg, you'll like the R&S Hefty Helleburg. I have found that it plays & sounds very similar to the Conn. R&S claims that it is identical in all parameters to the Conn (except weight), but I'm not sure; The inside rim -the "bite"- is more kindly rounded. This improved endurance and playing comfort for me. Soundwise, it does play a wee bit mellower, and can take a more "cranking", esp. in the lower midrange & below, than the Conn.

These attributes are mostly for the benefit of the player, and are not obvious out front. The basic product is a 95% match for the Conn Helleburg.

I won't argue if these playing attributes are the result of the mass or not, because I haven't verified that the other parameters are truly identical to the Conn, though they appear to be. I just know that I prefer the R&S (except when carring it in my pocket!)

I have played it on the 56J once, the new 2341 once, and on a 12J for a year or two (it made a big difference on this small horn). My main axe now is a ~1913 York, rebuilt with the new King/Conn valveset and leadpipe. My York is very similar to the King/Conn (or is that the other way around?: the York is older!) While I'm still experimenting with other mouthpieces, I keep coming back to to my R&S on these kinds of horns. for me, It works well on any horn that likes the Conn Helleburg.

Then again, after I first got the R&S, it sat in the box for 4 years. Horns and Tastes change!

'Don't know if the R&S II is the SHII or not; I've wondered this myself & would like to try one.

FWIW,

Mark "it's not the mass ... unless it is" Mazak

Follow Ups: