Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Conn 56J

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 30, 2002 at 14:10:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Conn 56J posted by Patrick on May 29, 2002 at 18:58:24:

The story goes that the instrument was based on the frankentuba that Charles Daellenbach had created using a York bell and an assortment of parts from other tubas. I've also heard that Bob Rusk had at least some serious input, and the fifth valve looks a lot like a Rusk design. Others have told the story with more facts to hand, an you might turn it up with an archive search. The originals were manufacturered by Getzen for the line of instruments that the Canadian Brass were marketing at the time, under the model name CB-50. Later, the Canadian Brass went back to Yamaha (so the story goes) and Getzen produced the tuba under their own label.

I would call it a smallish 4/4 CC tuba, like the Conn 5xJ. Some say the Conn seems smaller, others say it seems bigger. You'll have to decide that one for yourself. The bottom bow seems a little smaller than the Conn, but the bell is a bit bigger, though I haven't compared them side by side. Both have the same bore (~.689), at least through the first three valves.

I've heard players with a good orchestral tone production make a good orchestral sound on them, so I know the horns are capable of it if the player is. When I've tried them out, I've always found that they just go where you point them, with great response and a good connection to my musical intentions. In short, I just like playing them--they give me enjoyment instead of struggle. I haven't gotten the same feedback from the Conn 5xJ's I've tried, or from the new King 2341's that I've played, both of which are a similar design. Of course, that connection is a personal thing, and it may be that the Getzen is just particularly forgiving of my individual flaws as a player. It may go the other way for you.

Rick "who plays music for fun and chooses instruments accordingly" Denney

Follow Ups: