Re: Distortion Tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike P on May 30, 2002 at 05:26:16:

In Reply to: Distortion Tuba? posted by Doug on May 29, 2002 at 22:54:46:

Doug-

There is a rock/ jam band called Drums and Tuba that uses electric brass. With guitar pedals and a laptop computer, the 'brass' player will loop a bass line on tuba. Once the bass line has been looped, the player will then add harmony and take solos on trombone and trumpet. He uses a pretty wide variety of distortion and effects on all of the instruments. When I first saw the band in the winter of 2000 he had an old vocal mic taped just inside of his bell. I saw them a year later and he was using a small mic that was drilled into his mouthpiece.
It's a pretty interesting band and their shows are fun.

I attended a masterclass five years ago with the tuba player from London Brass, Oren Marshal (sp?), and he had performed a solo piece with with an amp, pedals, and a mic drilled into his mouthpiece. I don't rember the name or composer of the piece but it was interesting.

I believe that Joe Exeley in NYC may do some distorted tuba stuff with a small mic in his mouthpiece also. His group Three will be performing at the conference this week- haven't heard them before but I gather that it some sort of eclectic tuba trio. I do not know if Three 'plugs in' or not. www.tubajoe.com/

Follow Ups: