Re: Custom Work/ Mods for Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on May 27, 2002 at 21:24:30:

In Reply to: Custom Work/ Mods for Tuba posted by Tom B. on May 27, 2002 at 19:47:51:

I have an old Boosey & Hawkes Eb similar to the Besson 982. I put on a 981 leadpipe so I can use regular shanked mouthpieces and it also improved the response of the horn. I had it mounted off the bell and it made the bell much more live. I also had a Dillon AGR put on, but I must confess, I have not really played around with different settings much. I also had delrin valve guides put in replacing the metal ones, which made the valves much quieter. Finally I had a Stewart Stand permanently mounted to the horn. This makes the height of the mouthpiece much more adjustable and comfortable to play. Now all I need are some fuzzy dice to hang off the bell! I wonder if Dillons sells any of those? I may need to just go to my local Pep Boys.....

On my bass bone I have used some bicycle handlebar foam on the hand grip area to assist with the grip. Now even a sweaty palm doesn't slip. I also put pencil clips on both horns so i am always prepared. And I rigged up a wooden support for the bass bone to aid in holding the horn up for those long gigs and rehearsals. I was having a bit of left shoulder pain after playing.

ken k

Follow Ups: