Re: Question: piston or rotary valves?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Corey on May 26, 2002 at 02:02:03:

In Reply to: Question: piston or rotary valves? posted by Michelangelo on May 13, 2002 at 17:13:46:

I own both a piston tuba and a rotory tuba. I have to say that there ARE some differences however, each type of valve has some sort of drawback and strength. And, as far as my horns go, (3/4 Rudy CC and Yamaha 822 F) The strengths balance out the weaknesses, I can play equally well on both horns. I just pick the one that I want to play that day or that fits a particular situation. (ex. F tuba for most Plog pieces) I have never had any complaints on a gig. Bottom line is, if the people you play with are happy with what you are doing then it matters not. Also, it depends on horn quality, if the quality of the valves (either type) is of a high caliber then the valve will work (i.e. be smooth and quiet). The only area I think rotor MIGHT have a slight sdvantage is on really big 5/4+ tubas where the throw on a piston is going to be quite different than a rotor. My soon to be aquired 5/4 is rotory.

Follow Ups: