Re: Re: More Mirafone size comparison pixx...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on May 25, 2002 at 14:32:56:

In Reply to: Re: More Mirafone size comparison pixx... posted by ED on May 24, 2002 at 15:02:42:

Well, I'd hesitate to call myself any kind of an expert, but having grown up in Southern California, I guess I've absorbed some Mirafone knowledge simply by osmosis! I can tell you what I know, and as always, your mileage may vary...

We should probably erase the number "190" from our collective consciousness here, as Mirafone no longer makes them. At best, they seem to be more of a curiosity than anything, with the possible exception of a handful of gems worthy of high praise. There just aren't that many of them around, and it sounds like a goodly percentage of those are turkeys. After rooting around on Mirafone's website, it almost looks like they split the 190 into the 189 and 191. Both have the big-ass bore, but the 191 seems kinda like a big valve section grafted onto a 186-ish size horn with a fat bell flare. The 189, however, appears to have inherited most of the 190's sheer size, as well as the big bore. I'm basing those observations on the specs listed, as well as a visual comparison of the two horns. I composited a picture here to give a rough idea of what the two horns might look like side-by-side.

One of the guys in my community band just bought a goldbrass five-valve 191. I tooted on it the other night for a fair amount of time, and I was *very* impressed. As Rick mentioned, it's got a nice, open feel, but not so much that you feel as though you're blowing into toilet paper tuba. It was quite nimble for a big horn, the valves were very fast, and the basement had some nice snap to it. Somehow, Mirafone has figured out how to carry the .840" bore through smaller diameter rotors - they almost looked 186-sized. Next to my 190 CC it just couldn't keep up. I'd imagine, however, that it would definitely put our more wattage than a 186, or it's slightly fatter fraternal twin the 187. It was solid loud, but didn't "tub out" soft - always a nice, centered sound. One other note - big mouthpiece receiver and flat whole step fifth valve, unlike Mirafones of the past.

The 189 seems to be the Sasquatch of horns - big and elusive. I've never seen one around my area, and wonder if they've come up with something that'll give the old 190 a run for the money. I'd also like to see how the 189 and 191 turn out as CC horns, assuming they have plans to go forward with that configuration.

I tried a bunch of those piston Conn-a-King-a-Phillips-a-phones at the recent NAMM show - didn't impress me much, but that's just me. There are plenty of folks out there who think they're the cat's meow, and I totally respect that they work *for them*. Just not my scene. I've also played a few YBB-321 (most of them new), and while they weren't for me, I thought they were pretty decent. Don't know much about the big Rudy/Cerveny horns.

I'd guess that both the 189 and 191 would be a substantial size jump for you, but the 191 might be a little closer to what you're used to (certainly more versatile than Bigfoot). Nothing beats face time on the horn, and you might even want to give the 187 a honk a see what's what. I've never played one of those either.

Hope this helps...

...Dave

Follow Ups: