Re: Re: Re: Re: Basses and Contra B.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frederick J. Young on May 24, 2002 at 15:48:04:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Basses and Contra B. posted by Rick Denney on May 24, 2002 at 08:47:14:

I think a BBb or CC tuba with tubing through the valves having about 2 inch diameter would have the same harmonic structure as a cornet or flugelhorn displaced lower by two octaves. The result would not be devoid of harmonics but would sound much more mellow.

As far as I know about the only properly scaled wind instrument is the pipe organ. The lower pipes are properly scaled to result in a true contrabass which can be heard. Those pipes are require too much air for a human to blow. The problem is how to obtain a proper contrabass voice for a band. In that regard I agree that the bass trombone is very effective in giving the bass line a cutting edge. Tubas get a much better tone when played between the 6 and 12th open tone. With the electronics available today I think a tubist could play into a frequency divider and produce very solid notes in the last two octaves of the piano keyboard. He would have to connect the divider output to a good low frequency amplifier and speaker system.

Follow Ups: