New Sousa Band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on May 19, 2002 at 12:01:02:

Wow. Last night I had the rare honor to play with the New Sousa Band. This gig came to me through my teacher, as so many gigs do, but this was something else....

About 0.5% of the tuba net know who I am so... I just finished my masters at U. Michigan and I have a bachelors from James Madison U in Virginia. I have done a few interesting things, but I'm still waiting to earn a real "claim to fame".

I got called for this gig a couple weeks ago, checked out the website and was really impressed with the bio and the tuba sections in years past. I'm getting ready for a military band audition, so I doubly appreciated a chance to perform a couple dozen marches with little preparation. Still, I had no idea who was going to be in the group. Imagine my suprise when I arrive to find Marty Erickson and Mark Cox warming up! These two professionals are not only oustanding musicians, but they are wonderful people to know and play with. I just did my best to play in time, in tune and to support these two great tubists. It was particularly interesting to explore the palate produced by a Willson Eb, Mirafone 4/4 CC and a B&S 6/4 CC. The color of the section was wonderful, and Mr. Erickson mentioned that the combination of instruments was similar to what the Navy band has done.

The rehearsal and concert were intense, fun and tiring. I've been playing with one of the best college bands in the country for the last year, but this was truely a whole new level. I learned so much last night about the virtuosity possible in a concert band tuba section.

The rest of the band was also wonderful, and it was inspiring to work in such an attentive and competent environment. I hope some of the tuba community get to hear this band in the future. The personell rotates somewhat, but they do seem to be a consistently wonderful group.

-A

Follow Ups: