Re: Union Musicians

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank Rosenau on May 19, 2002 at 00:15:11:

In Reply to: Union Musicians posted by TAZ on May 15, 2002 at 12:05:59:

The local here had some bad times, when it tried to re establish itself in the are, I joined as a show of support for local musicians Wouldn't have done if they weren't offering a deal, but in any case, my acceptance had NOTHING to do worth my ability as a player. No questions, no auditions, fill out the paperwork and pay the $$. I committed for 5 years and feel it was worth it for the cause of live music in this area, but not for me personally - I know my limitations - and I ain't that good, mostly just reliable. I believe the union can offer certain things, such as contact enforcement, job offers, medical benefits and
retirement and a base minimum for gigs. I believe that in a general sense, the union makes life better for musicians. Historically speaking most workers would be in a pretty bad situation if it weren't for unions. But, depending on the local, the support of individual musicians can be spotty. Since it is the system, I guess you gotta figure out how to make the system can work for you. I do know that in my small musical arena ( it is not a big market) if it weren't for the union presence, a lot of area musicians would be getting $5 an hour for gigs.

Follow Ups: