Re: ITEC 2002

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave S on May 18, 2002 at 21:51:47:

In Reply to: ITEC 2002 posted by Dennis on May 18, 2002 at 20:41:18:

This relates to both this post and the other discussion relating to ITEA. Dennis just stated above that there was still some room left in the "Low Blowers" group. This group is open to any one who is at ITEC and wants to play (no audition requirement), so you can be a participant just tell Dennis and bring your instrument. This group will perform on Saturday as a prelude concert, Just like all the other prelude groups do. Yes I consider that being a part of the conference. Many of of us will be doing this so please come and join us.

Secondly; there will also be a reading group of anyone who shows up with their instrument. This is also interesting as we get to play some tuba ensemble music that is not Christmas chorals. Some old tunes in new settings, some new original works for tuba ensemble and some will be very challenging both technically and musically and just downright fun to play. In the past these have been directed by the artists such as Brian Bowman or arrangers such as Winston Morris or young composers such as Kenyon Wilson. Even if you are lucky enough to go to one of schools that has a great Tuba/Euphonium ensemble I think it is worth the trip and, yes, your money to get another persons interpretation of how a work should be performed or be exposed to some new material that you or your group might enjoy playing.

One other way of being a participant is talking with the guys who are lucky enough to be called professionals by the rest of us. I found most of the "Artist Professionals" are willing to stop and talk with you and also take tilme to give you a private lesson if you seem interested and are willing to listen to someone else. I had a free lesson that way with Warren Deck (New York Philharmonic) and Steven Mead gave me some great warm-up advice.

So come on down to Greensboro and lets have some FUN playing our horns. BTW I will be bringing my duets books and some trios if anyone is interested in just jamming a little on the side. Dennis says there are plenty of practice rooms we can use. Bring your own music also, I get bored playing the same old stuff all the time.

Dave (I take responsibility for my remarks) Silden

Follow Ups: