Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Military Bands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on May 15, 2002 at 16:43:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Military Bands posted by couldn't resist on May 14, 2002 at 22:14:45:

LOL

True, two of the first things we are required to forget how to say are "Why?" and "Oh." I still wonder how "you" got in there, though -- ("You!?! Did you just say 'ewe', recruit?!?! DO I LOOK LIKE A SHEEP TO YOU?!?")

Hehe.. anyway..

Yes, the Marine boot camp is the longest, and arguably the toughest, of the services' basic training that a musician would go through. And, yes, you'll be off of your instrument for almost all of four months, but your chops will get back into shape. I just took the attitude that I got the opportunity to run around doing the grunt thing, getting all dirty and nasty, getting into shape, learning that an M-16A2 is certainly capable of shooting accurately at 500 yards (don't believe what the Air Force instructors would probably say), carrying a "casualty" through barbed wire & mud puddles, going on 12-mile humps, wearing camouflage face paint for days in a row, and being trained by the best in the world. Then, I get to play my horn for a living. Not a bad deal, but then again, I might be a little kooky! Besides, I did have fun with boot camp, and I'm proud to say that I made it.

Depending on the ensemble, a certain time of year to enter training may be preferred. For the Marine D&B Corps, for example, it's more simple to add new people in December or January, before parade season starts. So, it works out best if a new player enters boot camp in August or September.

As SPC Pritchard mentioned below, do your homework and talk to the right people before you start signing anything. To get into a specific band, you'd need the cooperation of your recruiter, your MEPS liason (the member of your intended branch who handles the paperwork at the Military Enlistment Processing Station), and the personnel coordinator for that band.

Also an important thing to think about -- no matter where you go, you'll want to be in good shape. Recruiters will be able to give you ideas, and in some commands, will work alongside you to get you moving. Some will even only allow you to ship to boot camp if you can meet certain requirements, too.

HOWEVER,
It's not for everybody. If someone doesn't mind taking orders instead of suggestions, is comfortable with keeping with standards of dress & physical appearance, and finds ways to enjoy all those ceremonies -- among other things -- then they'll do fine. If not, they'll need to think a LOT about why they would want to do the military thing in the first place.

LCpl Leland Jordon
D&B Co, USMC

Follow Ups: