Re: Wanted: Doug Elliot Mouthpieces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jeff on May 14, 2002 at 13:20:02:

In Reply to: Wanted: Doug Elliot Mouthpieces posted by David McRoberts on May 14, 2002 at 12:57:25:

Hi, David.

It might be worth waiting to get a copy of the catalogue, because the best thing about Doug's mp's is that you can pretty much custom design your own setup based on your horn, production technique, and sound concept. They're also good for playing outside if you own a plastic rim!

If you do get a chance to buy something used, a (very) rough comparison is included below. I'm sure someone else with a catalogue might post a better chart.

In my experience:

N cup is very similar to a PT 64 or Miraphone C4. The N cup has more of a funnel shaped taper (the others are cupped). It is a little less poppy and bright than the PT64 or C4, but (to my ears) has a darker, more complex sound.

P cup is your bog standard tuba mouthpiece size, less deep than a Bach 24AW, but wider. It is kind of like a Conn Helleberg, but not as deep. This is probably your best bet for general use on a CC or BBb tuba.

R cup is comparable to the depth of a Bach 24AW or Conn Helleberg. If I recall correctly, it is very similar to a Shilke Helleberg II.

T cup - If you aren't looking for it specifically, you don't want it. It's the sort of thing you drink wine out of at parties for a laugh.

As far as the rims and shanks go, smaller numbers = smaller sizes. To add a little resistance go for something like a 2 shank. This can work very well on very open tubas.

If you're more interested in size of sound over (dare I say it) colour and complexity, you may want to for something like a 6. That's pretty open.

a size 4 backbore is a good middle of the road shank.

Rims:

A C4 or PT88 has about a 132 rim. a Bach 24AW is more like a 128. How big are your lips?

Hope that helps.

Jeff

PS Doug, please send the cheque to the usual address.

Follow Ups: