Re: What to do with a 20J

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on May 08, 2002 at 14:22:37:

In Reply to: What to do with a 20J posted by Rick Denney on May 08, 2002 at 13:58:30:

Congrats on the big horn.

Here is what I can tell you from my experience with those 6/4 Conns:
The 2x series (top action) is exactly the same as the 3x (front action) series except "mirrored" in assembly as you have guessed. To turn the horn into a front action instrument I wuld suggest that you become very friendly with your Meinl-Weston dealer. The could set you up with both the bell and valve cluster you would need. They might be even able to get ou some other componenents which would help in the conversion. I have played the big 3x series in short action with four valves and would take this anyday over the top action configuration is nothing more than ergonomics and bell alone. However I think the Meinl-Weston bell is a little shorter than the Conn equivalent would be which should give you a little extra to work with to taper the valve section into the existing branches. I remember seeing a few years ago an old Conn with the 2165 bell mounted on it. Plus the smaller (19.25 inches!) MW bell would probably lean out the sound a little more than the 22" upright the horn would have come with. All said and done you'll probably be very close to the price of a Holton 345 or a Conn 36J, but those horns are scarce and in the process of "remodeling" your horn, you might be able to work out some of those intonation defeciences or maybe lessen them in the process. Best of luck!

Matt G

Follow Ups: