Re: Frozen valves

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on May 06, 2002 at 17:18:15:

In Reply to: Frozen valves posted by James on May 06, 2002 at 14:16:48:

I won't venture an answer to your question (other than "take it to a shop, and DO NOT WATCH")

I'm piggy-backing on your topic.

My Yamaha YBH-301S baritone horn (not euphonium!) has one valve which acts up. This instrument sees only sporadic use, and invariably needs to have all three valves freed up. Valves 2 and 3 are never a problem - they just need oil. Valve 1 is more serious - it often takes more force than is safe to remove the valve from the casing. Once cleaned and oiled, it plays nicely. But, leave it in the case untouched for a week and we're back at square 1.

I usually end up removing the bottom cap (and spring) and soak the bottom o the valve with oil (having already tried oiling at the top cap, and failing to get the pisont to move). I give it a few minutes, and then push the piston out from the bottom. Wipe, oil, insert, work up and down 100 times...and off we go.

What can I (and should I) try as a home remedy before taking it to a shop?

Is it time for Lava?

More information (for those still reading)...my practice, when oiling valves, is to apply oil and then slowly rotate the piston while re-inserting (yes, I'm careful not to snag or otherwise damage the tacquet (did I get that right?)). I have this crackpot theory that the piston and casing should both be ROUND and that if all is well the piston should rotate as freely as it moves up and down. When I do have a sticky valve (like valve #1 on this baritone), this "spiral in" technique is very sensitive in identifying problems.
I also figure that if the piston rotates smoothly, but still sticks going up and down, then the problem is with the guide.

Advise and corrections (from those InTheKnow) gratefull accepted.

Follow Ups: