Re: Re: Mustache or Not?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on May 02, 2002 at 05:54:28:

In Reply to: Re: Mustache or Not? posted by Ola on May 02, 2002 at 05:08:47:

Photo documentation has its limitations!

The pic does not reveal, that I have shaved my upper lip exactly at the area, that is covered by the PT-50.

I have a number of reasons for that:

My beard is very stiff and wiry. Already back in my trombone days I had problems with a good air sealing along most of the mouthpiece rim.

I had a strong sense, that the oscillations of the upper lip were not as free, as they should be.

Leading me to shave the smaller "trombone" area of the upper lip.

When I from 1974 started using the Denis Wick gold plated 4AL and 4AM (shaved down (sic!) stem) models for my large bore tenor bone and my Brit baritone respectively, I learned to maintain the smoothness of of my upper lip for yet another reason. My homegrown copper-wire was not kind to the plating. Even if I shaved twice a day, three times when in camps, I am now on my fourth 4AL and on my fourth baritone DW. Since 1978 the latter is a 4AY, which needs no stem shaving.

So I have welcomed the silverplated DW's very much.

Since I took up the horn in 1985, I play all instruments as closely to the old fashioned German in-set embouchure as possible.

Since I took up the sousaphone in 1990 that leaves only a very narrow stripe of copperfield below the nose.

Klaus

Follow Ups: