Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best tuba for low range

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fellow ol timer on June 01, 2001 at 20:06:14:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best tuba for low range posted by Klaus on June 01, 2001 at 19:27:05:

Ya, wouldn't it be nice if some of the current makers "gave" us their new products to try to convince us of their merits. Don't hold your breath though................
I am still waiting for a Mienl Weston F that Oscar promised me about 67 when he, Bill Bell and myself were discussing the need for such an instrument to be put on the market. They sent a prototype to Jake, but I only ever got one quick try on it and never saw another thing of it.
Then there is the Conn 2J I was supposed to get in 71. It was made available the day I left the US and despite Conn promising they would get it on the first plane out, it never came (seems their arcane marketing arrangements prevented sending it directly to me).

Now maybe if they tried something like Chrysler did in 63 when they made 50 examples of a turbine powered valiant. They let people drive them for 6 months to give them a good "practical" test.

Maybe a few of us older hands need to get together and pool resources and duplicate some of the great old instruments, or at least put on a "Vintage Tuba Show" like the antique car people do.

IF a project I am involved with comes off, I just might have to get something on these lines going.

ACTUALLY, while I am on this line: wouldn't it be nice if some of the comps had sections for the older players who are not playing big league gigs to have a chance to show what they can do? Why only cater for the under 25 bracket? Some people might be surprised at how many 40 or 50+ players there are who might even be interested in buying some of the new gear (besides being able to show these hot shot kids that they are not the only ones who can play tuba.

Ken

Follow Ups: