Re: Best tuba for low range

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Herrick on May 31, 2001 at 16:32:41:

In Reply to: Best tuba for low range posted by Phil on May 31, 2001 at 11:23:09:

If you can get your hands on one of the old King 4 rotary valve "Monster" BBb horns you would have a good thing. They are "only" a .750 with 20" bell and very efficient. When I took mine to Jake the first time he "wanted" it on the spot and I had to find one for him. (He later sold it to Don Heeren of Denver Symph who was desperate for a horn for the job - which proves a good BBb CAN do the orchestra gig)It absolutely whomped the York on the bottom end. When Jake opened up on the Ride down in the basement using the King the house really shook. It was as he put it "the first BBb in years" that he felt really comfortable playing as it was so like the York. Mrs Jacobs really noticed the difference from upstairs. By comparison the big old Conns were real tubs to play.

Incidently, while I haven't played one yet, the new Kings look like a slightly scaled down, piston valved version and I should expect they would be quite solid on the bottom end.

Follow Ups: