Roger Bobo's farewell performance.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom McCaslin on May 30, 2001 at 10:31:17:

This past Saturday myself and about 200 other people had the chance to hear the great Roger Bobo give his public goodbye to tuba playing. The concert was in Riva Del Garda, Italy. This is easily the best place in the world for a farewell concert. Bobo started off by playing the newly arranged Arutiunian "Concerto" for tuba and band. I am not a huge fan of this concerto but have to say that when anything is performed as musically and as emotionally as Bobo's performance was I couldn't help but love it. He continued with "Romanian Dance #2", arranged and performed for two tubas and band. This was performed with Roland Szentpali, one of the world's true musical talent's and former student of Roger Bobo. Then the Maestro started his encores. He played the Serenade from Casterede's "Sonatine", Kellaway's "Morning Song" and finally ended with a stirring rendition of "Shadow of your Smile". I was sad to realise that I'll never be able to hear Maestro Bobo's sound in person again. However, we are very fortuanate to have him on recordings and now as a full time teacher. I highly recommend taking the opportunity to study with him. Roger Bobo has always been controversial among tubists but universally accepted among musicians. His sound and equipment are unique among tubists but his virtuosity, stage presence and musicality are rare even among the greatest musicians. Not only will he teach you how to become a better tubist, he'll teach you how to approach music for yourself and become an individual. Something I think the tuba world could use more of.

Yours truly,
Tom McCaslin

Follow Ups: