Re: Re: How much should I pay???????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on May 27, 2001 at 10:48:58:

In Reply to: Re: How much should I pay??????? posted by Klaus on May 27, 2001 at 09:50:40:

I sell the 4V Weril euphoniums in the price range that Klaus mentioned, but the purpose of this post is to help you out with info on the Besson.

The "new" cost of those is around $3K or more, so you should weigh the CONDITION (not the age) of the ebay Besson against "new". To remove all dents and refinish one of those is at least $800 - more if silver plated (I do that sort of work, but don't "solicit" it so I don't have a published "price list, per se.) ALSO, a 35-year-old euphonium is likely to have somewhat worn tolerances between the pistons and the casings. EXCLUDING the necessary unsoldering and resoldering of the valve casings from a "3+1"-valve top-action euphonium to expedite a complete valve rebuild, the REBUILDING COST alone is probably around $500 or more (including round-trip shipping to the "valve guru" and his "handling" [unpacking/repacking] charges.) In addition the (EVEN BIGGER) job of removing the 1-2-3 casing cluster and the #4 casing from the instrument and replacing them when done (WITHOUT "screwing up" the work done by the valve rebuilder) is certainly worth an additional $250 (or perhaps more).

So, if this instrument is a little bit dented up with a dingy finish and somewhat worn valves and you would like it like new, you would need to pay the acquisition cost ($1100+?) + valve rebuilding ($750-$800) + dent removal and refinishing ($800 ?).

That's getting really close to the price of a new one. IN ADDITION, most of the OLD (1960's) Besson euphoniums have a REALLY FLAT lower Eb (first valve note) which cannot be lipped up to pitch very easily.

For those reasons, I generally do not bid on old Besson compensating euphs with the intention of restoration and resale. I would be NICE if you could inspect it first-hand to see if the pistons' nickel plating is still intact and if their fit to the casings is still good. Even if the instrument has a good original finish, if the valves are worn and need rebuilding, the unsoldering/resolding is so extensive to effect that job that the instrument WILL need to be refinished after a valve rebuild.

Follow Ups: