Re: Doug Elliot mouthpieces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on May 24, 2001 at 13:47:11:

In Reply to: Doug Elliot mouthpieces posted by jon schultz on May 23, 2001 at 12:08:54:

Jon,

Most CONN Helleberg users (not Schilke Helleberg, as it has a different rim shape) that like Doug Elliott's stuff seem to end up on a 4N shaped rim. It is flat and narrow - similar to the larger CH. The diameter best matching the larger CH is the 130mm rim (or the 132, if you have been using a really old Helleberg). The cup that has the most similar dimensions to the larger CH is the "R" (I don't know about the CH 7B - it has a different rim, diameter, and depth...and I have never used one for more than a few days). You're on your own regarding backbore and shank taper.

Regarding the "matching letters" business:

He means that the throat size increases as the cup depth plunges. So, if you get an "R" cup, then you must order a shank with an "R" throat (example - "R" cup with an "R5E" shank or a "T" cup with a "T8A+" shank). The other letters in the shank's "name" indicate the outside taper. This allows you to get a shank that really fits your horn properly. The number indicates the length of the backbore, or how long the mouthpiece stays straight inside before it flares out to its end. This has a lot to do with intonation and how notes "slot".

For what you are asking about in your post, I would guess that you want a 130 4N rim with a "P" cup, as this will give you a very familiar rim with a shallower mouthpiece. Call Doug and tell him about your horn and he will attempt to steer you in the right direction. Hope this gives you a place from which to begin your search.

Good luck!

Wade Rackley

Follow Ups: