Re: Switching between C and BBb tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lucky cat on May 24, 2001 at 06:32:20:

In Reply to: Switching between C and BBb tubas posted by Tracy H on May 24, 2001 at 00:45:24:

Tracy,
Consider yourself extremely lucky to get the chance to have a C tuba! If you are going into music, or even thinking of it, you are at the perfect time to make the switch! I wish I had had the foresight to get a CC in high school rather than a BB-flat...
Now, my question for you is, why can't you use your CC tuba for concerts, band playing etc.? I understand about the inevitability of a BB-flat tuba for marching band, since you don't see too many CC sousaphones, but why not get all the experience you can on your C? You'll only be thinking b-flat those few months that way...
You'll get to the point where you pick up your concert tuba and C fingerings will feel "natural." I think the same will hold true for your marching band. Playing your marching horn will just not seem "right" unless you are playing B-flat fingerings! Just buckle down and learn the fingerings. You will get used to the transition mentally soon after. Don't be too worried, there are lots of us out here who went through exactly what you are right now! Remember, if you can handle more "intricate" music, such as solos, on your CC tuba, then playing in a band rehearsal should be no problem.
Good luck, keep us updated!

Follow Ups: