Re: Raising a family while being a musician

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on May 23, 2001 at 14:37:49:

In Reply to: Raising a family while being a musician posted by Tubanator on May 22, 2001 at 20:07:49:

I've only begun dating a young woman who, so far, has been entirely supportive of my job. She's musically inclined herself, but doesn't perform, at least not very often. She works for a law firm, and is going to law school this fall to further her career, so she'll be busy enough for when I'm away. I don't know what our future holds, though -- we've only known each other just over a week. But, I get the impression that she'll be fine when I'm pretty much guaranteed to have a performance on at least every national holiday.

In addition to a spouse, I'd add parents and children. My own parents are amateur musicians (apart from the occasional low-paying gig), and they at least have a knowledge of what to listen for, and what to say when I ask them how things sounded. They also play music purely for fun, and don't see the need to apply pressure at home.

It's not impossible to have relationships without musical support, but it sure is nice.

Follow Ups: