Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: San Francisco Youth Orchestra Concert

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on May 23, 2001 at 00:03:04:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: San Francisco Youth Orchestra Concert posted by Richard on May 22, 2001 at 19:07:35:

Lack of conviction? I feel quite the opposite. The greatest recording I have ever heard is a live recording from 1944 of a Furtwangler Bruckner 8 with the VPO. There is not a recording done today that even comes close to the conviction that this stunning recording portrays. Same goes for a recording I have of Strauss conducting "Death and Transfiguration" with the VPO from 1934. I feel that with homogonizing of orchestra sound of the past 30 years, orchestras sound more like automatons than musicians. The only caveat are the Bernstein/VPO live recordings of Bruckner. They are stunning in their intensity and virtuosity. They are played by the one orchestra in the world that has resisted having their basic sound concept changed. My Opinion.
As a side note, Freid was a great interpreter of Mahler. As a Jew in a terribly anti-semitic Germany, he helped carry the torch for his counterpart. He transcended his lack of vision with his Mahler performances. I still believe his Beethoven to be pedantic and flat.

Follow Ups: