Re: Drug testing at Auditions?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on May 22, 2001 at 18:08:35:

In Reply to: Drug testing at Auditions? posted by Neil MacQuarrie on May 22, 2001 at 11:23:25:

BASED ON WHAT MY DOC TOLD ME:

Beta Blockers do one thing and one thing only: they control the level of constriction of your circulatory system (the "bore size" of your veins and arteries, so to speak...).

When you get REALLY BAD NERVES, these guys constrict, causing (direcly or indirectly) shakes, dry mouth, poor mental focus, a lack of embouchure control, et cetera...we've all been there at some point...due to a lower blood flow to the brain and chops.

By relaxing the constriction, the ancillary effects are minimized or removed altogether.

THIS ALLOWS THE PLAYER TO PLAY AS WELL OR TO STINK AS BADLY AS HE OR SHE WOULD HAVE DONE ANYWAY. IT DOES NOT ENHANCE ONE'S PERFORMANCE IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM. NEITHER DOES IT ALTER ONE'S MIND. So why on earth would ANYONE test for it? And if it can assist a 62 year old Concertmaster through "Scherezade" after coming back from shoulder surgery, then it is a GOOD THING...RIGHT? Remember, aspirin is a drug, too. When do we test for IT?

"My gosh, we can't have someone getting rid of his headache prior to his audition...that might enhance his performance!"

Wade"only used it once and did not care for it, but seen it work wonders for others" Rackley

Follow Ups: