Re: Role of EEb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lucky cat on May 22, 2001 at 05:34:51:

In Reply to: Role of EEb posted by Rob Suttie on May 21, 2001 at 23:07:39:

Hi Rob,
As Brian alluded to, the e-flat is definitely almost the repiano of the lower brass section... in other words it always changes roles. The e-flat will double different parts at different times, both soloistically, and also as the typical accompanying instrument. Sometimes it is used in small chamber ensembles within the band, sometimes it plays solos on its own, and sometimes it will just be a BB-flat type character and play oom-pahs.
The best example I have recently played was a piece called "Disney Spectacular," which I believed was arranged by Goff Richards (?I think, but anyway, he's a big brass band name.) This was a collection of different Disney pieces. Most of the piece was accompaniment, but there was a nice solo section for the e-flat tuba in the middle of the piece for the song "Bippity-Boppity-Boo" (sp?). This is what I feel makes the role so fun to play. Another place to look for the variety of the part is within a test piece, where everyone in the band has to pass the ball at some point.
As far as other uses for e-flat, I play it as my solo horn. I realize I am in the minority compared to the F players, (although there are many greats out there that use E-flat in some capacity,) but for that reason I want to get a grip on F tuba as well. But at any rate, I love the horn as a solo instrument. Perhaps I grew up with the color of the brass band, and have developed a preference for that sound quality. I play a Besson 983, which when played well I love the sound of. E-flat is very versatile, but I think to not feel bad about using it in orchestra I would have to leave the country...

Follow Ups: