Re: Re: Trip to Dillons (Long)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy Smith on May 21, 2001 at 07:58:02:

In Reply to: Re: Trip to Dillons (Long) posted by how about the CC's on May 20, 2001 at 19:43:48:

What CC's do you want to know about?

Well, I went there to try to find a more free blowing CC tuba, and it came down to 2: a Conn 56J in satin silver and a Buescher/Dillon cut tuba. These two horns are both wonderful instruments. The Buescher felt so easy to play, the Conn was almost as easy, but not quite. The sound on the Buescher wasn't as present as the Conn, but I didn't mind that. The Conn's sound tended to break up and become harsh. I couldn't get the Buescher to do that. That's the two that I played the most.

The VMI Neptune models left me disappointed. I don't understand how VMI can make tubas that have all these slides in wierd places like they do. Particularly the rotary model had this problem. I remember there were two slides that stuck up over the top branch in back of the tuba, thus causing you to try to reach around those in order to get to the first valve slide.

There was a nice used 2165 there that was made before the new bell was made. There were 3 Holton cuts: 2 that were really good and 1 that just had some intonation issues.

I hope this helps you out.

Andy Smith
Bassdi(AT)aol.com
Tubist at Ithaca College

Follow Ups: