Re: Mendez Brass Clinic

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Oberheu on May 21, 2001 at 05:28:31:

In Reply to: Mendez Brass Clinic posted by Justin on May 20, 2001 at 20:44:29:

First of all, I want to say "don't limit yourself." I'd advise you to see all 4 guys; Pilafian, Northcut, Perantoni and Phillips. Sure, it'll cost a bit at $75 a pop, but trust me...it's worth it!

I went to the Mendez Institute at Arizona State a few years ago. I was very fortunate to get a lesson each with Pilafian, Perantoni and Phillips; and those lessons were $90 each back then. I'm glad I paid it! The initial cost may seem a bit steep if you're used to not spending very much, as I was (and still am for the most part). But the payoff really was worth it. Each lesson was something totally different and I learned different things from each master. Go into your lessons with an open mind and no preconceptions that you may have gotten from this board or elsewhere...listen and decide later on *your* own terms, not anyone else's. Trust yourself that you'll have the good judgment to keep what is best for you and discard what isn't. Some of it will be easy to use right away, other things will take a few years to develop. But the point is, you've got to put it in there in the first place and now is the time.

A note of caution...don't reject something right away if you don't fully understand it. Give it some time and make an educated guess later.

Another point...don't just be a tuba jock. Get lessons with Jeff Reynolds or Gail Williams or Anthony Plog...anyone whose opinion you really respect. These musicians will all have something you can take and put to use. I really wish I had gotten a lesson with Jeff Reynolds while I was at Summitt. But, I was lucky enough to have him as my quintet coach.

As far as cash concerns go...well, we all have our limitations. If you're spending your life savings *just* to go to the clinic, then of course you can't do it. But, if you need to ask for some extra money to get some good lessons, do it! It's a very concentrated 2 weeks so you should take full advantage and stock your mind with as much information as possible. It's what you need to do to prepare yourself for a musical life, it's that simple; and the result is *so* worth the price.

Best of luck and most importantly, ENJOY YOURSELF at Summitt! You'll meet some great musicians and friends and grow a lot; make the most of it!

Follow Ups: